Friday, April 18, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

Sometimes, "little" things aren't.

I have many, many opportunities at Edgewood to do - or see others doing - "little" things:
*opening a door
*sharing a smile
*pulling out a chair
*speaking a kind word
*checking the mail
*rubbing a shoulder
The list goes on and on. Lots of little things which seem rather insignificant.
Until, you see the other side.

This week I was talking to my grandmother and she told me about one of the aides who comes to care for her. Grandma mentioned the things this woman does - which are all part of her job - and said how much she appreciates her help. Then a certain sparkle appeared in her eyes when she said, "AND, she stays a few minutes longer to talk to me."
That's when I realized the sparkle actually came from the tears welling up in Grandma's eyes. And I could see how very deeply it touched her that someone stuck around for a few minutes just to spend time with her. In a world of people rushing around to get this and that done, someone took time to notice my grandma, and it meant so much to her.
Grandma's aide probably thought she was doing a little thing. But that isn't the way my grandmother saw it. To her, that little thing was HUGE.

As you go through your day today - and tomorrow - and all the rest of the days of your life - may I encourage you to do the "little" things? You just never know what a difference you may be making in the world.

Sometimes, "little" things aren't.

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

2 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Karen, I now have a deeper appreciation for your work at Vista Spring/Edgewood after my mom just spent 2 1/2 week in our local nursing home in rehab. My heart was touched so by all the people there who just need a smile and a kind word. One day, before too long, it may be me who needs them. I know you bring great joy to the Edgewood residents.

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - Yep. I am fully aware that I'll likely be needing them one day, too. And by the grace of God I hope I am still bringing joy through Him at that time.:)