Thursday, July 17, 2014

And I Didn't Even Feel Mean

My kids have regular chores around the house.
Even during the summer.
And even after they've been at camp for a week and are sooooooo out of practice. *wink*

So, Tuesday morning when I walked into the kitchen and realized Matthew hadn't taken the trash and recycling to the curb Monday night, I knew what I had to do. I went to his bedroom and opened the door. Seeing him snuggled up cozily in his bed, I walked over and touched him gently. Then I said, "Hey, mister. You didn't take out the trash and recycling last night. You need to get up right now and take care of that, before they come to get it."
Matthew groaned. I took hold of his blankets and pulled them off of his tired little body and said, "Come on!"
And I left his room.

Moments later, Matthew was plodding through the kitchen - eyes still half shut - and he managed to get out of his mouth, "Will someone help me?" When I answered with a 'no', he said very clearly, "This is stupid!" and he slammed the door on the way out to the garage.
Ahhhh, silly kid! I didn't see anything "stupid" about it at all. In fact, I thought it was pretty smart of me to get him out of bed to do the chore he was supposed to do before he got in to bed. Otherwise, in the future he might think he can skip his chores and just know that I'll take care of them. Not.gonna.happen.
Naaahhhh, that wasn't stupid at all. The way I see it, I was helping him get smarter. Remember to plan ahead. Take responsibility. Do the right thing. All that jazz.

Besides, he got to go right back to bed. *grin*

Karen

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Learning to do the right thing instead of the easy thing is a tough lesson no matter how old they are. Great reminder to never quit teaching it, slamming doors and all! Thanks Karen!

km said...

Sometimes being mean is the only way to prepare them for life. When I was on staff at a summer camp if a lifeguard overslept (my roommate) the rest of the team dumped buckets

km said...

Of ice on them!!! Then they had to get up and go to workout and only hours later could they come back to take care of the wet bedding. So...you're not THAT mean.

Karen Hossink said...

Joanna - Yes. No matter the age. Even when we're adults. Hopefully, it is a lesson they'll carry with them!

KM - Now THAT is mean. And I love it! *wink*