Friday, September 26, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

'For better or for worse' is beautiful.

I've written about B and U here before. They are the couple who lives across the hall from the Activity Room. B has suffered a couple strokes, and the last one left him unable to use the right side of his body, and unable to speak very much. Because of our close proximity, I have witnessed many of their trials as they navigate through growing older and dealing with the effects of B's most recent stroke. Sometimes U just has to leave the apartment for a while - or have B leave - so she can gather herself together and have a little peace. And I totally understand her need to do so!
Well, on Monday, U was given a break she hadn't planned on. And wasn't wanting.
That is, B was taken to the hospital. Turns out he had a minor infection and just needed antibiotics and some time to heal. But U was beside herself while he was gone. She missed him so.

Wednesday afternoon I was by the front office when an ambulance pulled up with B. They were bringing him home! But U didn't know he was coming.
Since I was in the right place at the right time, I had the privilege of taking B back to his apartment and I just wish I'd had a camera with me to capture his homecoming. U was outside sitting under a tree reading a book when I found her and said B was home. She got right up and came inside where I saw B sitting there with his left arm stretched as wide open as he could get it. U approached him with her arms spread open, and then these two wrinkle-y folks embraced and gave each other the sweetest kiss I have ever seen.
All B could manage to say was, "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah." But I'm pretty sure he meant something like, "I love you, U. I'm so glad to be home and see you again. And I am so thankful to have you as my gracious and loving wife. Thank you for sticking with me through all of life's ups and downs." Yeah. I'm sure that's what he would have said if his words were cooperating with his heart.

'For better or for worse' is beautiful.

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

3 comments:

Leah Adams said...

How precious! I've told you before, but I just love these Edgewood stories. They bless me and challenge me so. Have a great weekend.

Kaira said...

Ohhh, this one made me cty. Surprised? ;)

Karen Hossink said...

Leah - I'm glad you enjoy my Edgewood stories. I love writing them! :)

Kaira - No. Not surprised at all. ;)