Friday, October 31, 2014

Lessons From the Edge

Doing "nothing" can be wonderful.

We're in the process of lots of construction at Vista Springs Edgewood. They're going to be expanding the dining room, making a new entry, turning the library into an activity center, and I've even heard reports of a little bistro. It's going to be so nice!
Cosmetic work has already been done all over the place with newly painted walls, new carpeting and hand rails, and new light fixtures. And just this week, construction has begun in my neck of the woods. They're building a cage office for me. That is, the current activity room is being transformed into a therapy room so my corner is being walled-in as an official "office". I think the intention is to separate the therapy area from my work area - for privacy.
And I get that.
But I'm going from a great big open area to a space probably less than 9-feet-square.
And I'm already claustrophobic. I might need my own therapy sessions before I go "into" work every day. *wink*

OK. I'm finished whining.
On to this week's lesson...

On Wednesday the man doing the construction on my cage (Oh! I said I was finished whining, didn't I. Guess I lied. *ahem*) office was busy framing it in. Measuring, sawing, and nailing the two-by-fours into place. And when I walked into the room, I saw B (from down the hall, not the B across the hall) sitting in a chair. He wasn't doing anything, really. Just sitting there. I didn't have any activities planned in the next few minutes, and I wasn't sure what he might be waiting for.
I asked B if he needed any help.
He smiled and said, "No. I'm just watching him build."
So I went about my business, which involved lots of going in and out of the Activity Room. And every time I came back in, there he was. B, sitting and watching the construction. Doing nothing, but happy as a lark.
As in, I think he sat there for a couple of hours!

Back in the day, B was a civil engineer. But I don't think he was ever in construction. Still, something about the frame going up for my office intrigued him, and held him in place for a couple of hours.
And then I got to thinking.
How many hours have I spent doing "nothing" while I sat watching a fire, or listening to music, or observing birds, or staring at a sleeping baby?
And suddenly I felt I could understand B - just sitting and watching.
Because I realized, Doing "nothing" can be wonderful.

Think you might be able to find time to do "nothing" for a while this weekend? Enjoy!

Karen
Disclaimer: The ideas and opinions expressed in this post are my own, and may not necessarily reflect those of Vista Springs Living Centers.

2 comments:

Kaira said...

I love doing nothing! I'm so thankful that I can knit and crochet because it's such a pleasant and relaxing pastime. I hope you carve out some time to do nothing soon!

P. S. Thanks for hosting an extra guy this weekend.

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - Not sure when that time is going to come for me, but I trust it will. Eventually. Lol!
We're glad to have the extra guy this weekend.