Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What Would Jesus Do?

Do you remember the W.W.J.D. bracelets?

Did you ever own one?

I do.
And I didn't.
But lately I have been asking myself that question again.

See, I have this friend...who has a friend...
And my friend's friend has been coming to church with her recently, and that's a great thing.
My friend's friend is also in a band of sorts, and plays in clubs and bars. And the music and dancing is rather sexual in nature.
Anyway, my friend thinks it would be good to be supportive of her friend and go see a show/concert. But she's torn between supporting her friend, and condoning the sexualized performance and music. And I totally understand!

That's why W.W.J.D. has been on my mind.

I'm picturing Jesus reaching out to a person, meeting them right where they are.
At the well.
Or the bar.
Or in a pit.
I see Him free of condemnation, while clearly standing for all that is good and pure and holy. And I'm imagining the love in His eyes as He speaks truth and invites this person to follow Himself.
Then I think of my friend going to one of these shows, listening to sexual lyrics and watching similar dance moves. I feel the tension within her of wanting to meet her friend in a supportive role, but being broken over the brokenness of the circumstance. I picture my friend's friend coming to her breathless after the show, full of excitement from the rush of just finishing a performance, and asking expectantly, "So, what did you think????"
And I wonder, What would Jesus do?

Karen

2 comments:

Kaira said...

I don't know, but if I didn't have friends who would love me right where I was, I might now have met Jesus when I did. It takes a depth of friendship to start calling out stuff like that. I'm not sure if she should go to the show or not, because if its not her thing, it's not her thing, but Jesus can change this lady's heart. In the meantime, your friend should just keep being her friend. But, she can stay true to herself by saying something like, "I'd love to support you, but I don't listen to that kind of music and I think I'd feel out of place. Can we do something else instead?" I wouldn't go to a show for music I didn't like, not because they are bigger sinners than me, but because I don't like the music. I think it's simple when you look at it like that. It sounds like your friend is wrestling with this because of how sinful it is. Well, it's no worse than her own sin. We all have filthy sins in our lives, and is easy to see the ones we don't struggle with as the bad ones. Doesthat make sense?

Karen Hossink said...

Kaira - It totally makes sense. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. :)