Thursday, February 04, 2016

It's So Tempting

I've been thinking about my tasks around the house recently.

Thinking, that is, of how I might be able to get out of them.

For instance:
*I could skip shopping for groceries. And when one of the boys asks why I didn't refill the cupboards and refrigerator, I could explain that I didn't have time. Because I had to go to work.
*I could come home from work and lay down for a nap. When one of the boys asks when I'm going to make dinner, I could say I'll do it later. And when they ask me in another half hour when I'm going to make dinner, I'll reiterate that I'll get to it. Again, when they ask at the end of the day - just as I'm about to go to bed - I could apologize and say I forgot. That I'll do it the next day.
*Then there's laundry. I've been thinking I could simply not do it. Maybe go for a walk or read a book, instead. When one of the boys comes to me in the morning, distressed because they've no clean clothes to wear, I could smile sheepishly and say, "Oh. I got distracted and forgot all about the laundry."

Yeah. That's what I've been thinking.
I wonder if it would work.
I mean, I think it should.
Cuz those are the same excuses my boys have been giving me for the past I-can't-remember-how-long. *ahem*

Just keepin' it real here.

Karen

2 comments:

Joanna T. said...

Sounds like the makings of a great parenting moment...would love to hear the end of that story!

Karen Hossink said...

Joanna - I thought so, too. What a great opportunity to help them understand - using their own words/actions to help them see it.
My problem is in translating the picture from my adult mind into words and illustrations to which their teenage minds will pay attention. Not sure if going without dinner would do it, or just make them mad at me. *ahem* ;)